onsdag 27 april 2011

Reality check one two

Whoah!

I've been surfing the everyday fashion blogs... I've said it before and I will say it again, it's sad. Pathetic even. Not only because of the lack of style most of these blogs manifest, although that too is truly sad. I'll say it again, buying a ready made style from H&M or GT or what have you does not mean you have style!! Sure, they both have some good looking clothes, some, but it's not very personal. And this is all before we even get to the ethical side of it. DO YOU CARE WHERE YOUR CLOTHES COME FROM? DO YOU REALLY NEED ALL THE CLOTHES THAT YOU HAVE?

I don't know, I'm not that much better myself, I have more clothes than what my wardrobes can stomach. But I'm trying to be more conscious about my spending habits. The thing is, we have a problem. Not just me, or you, but all of us as a whole. We are consuming too much! You can have style without buying new stuff every week. All the waste we produce... this ol' planet of ours can't take it much longer and it is no joke. I hate to preach, but sometimes I feel the need.

Our consuming has consequences. The labor, who makes the clothes you wear? Under what conditions? The exhaust, how environmental are the factories where our clothes are being made? Ever paid some thought to why they are all tagged "made in China/Bangladesh/India/Taiwan"? What do you think the environmental legislation in those places are like compared to the Western world? Next we have the transportation... we transport stuff we could make here just because there nobody cares what chemicals you let out into the nature. It ends up in our stores, we buy it, use it for a month or two and then forget about it. You need to think about why these clothes are as cheap as they are. We might not be paying a lot of money when we buy them, but we are paying a price we can't afford much longer.

It's not right. On any level. Please save our planet. Be more creative.

Enough preaching for one entry. Day off tomorrow, big plans, need to do laundry, wash dishes, clean in general...great fun. Friday morning flying off to Brussels for the weekend. Last weekend it was Stockholm. After this, I have two weeks of Helsinki ahead of me. THEN I finally get some rest! Vacation! Looking forward to it, feel like I'm running around like a crazy person right now, forgetting dead-lines etc. Took a nap the other day and when I woke up, in the middle of the day, it took me a couple of minutes to figure out what country it is I live in these days. Couldn't remember if it is Sweden or Finland. Very confusing. And a bit scary realizing the level of stress I'm under. Seriously, it is no joke, I couldn't remember which country I live in!! I've lived here since 2004! Lets see what happens when I move to Norway this summer...

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar